Thursday, June 01, 2006

Being Yourself...

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." - Judy Garland

I have a problem with being myself around others sometimes. I always have the feeling like I need to be 'on' all the time in order to garner the acceptance of others. Self-esteem or having confidence in yourself needs to become a priority in your walk. You cannot plan a path based on what others might say, think, or feel. You cannot start your weightloss journey based on wanting to please others. Using this method of thinking will guarantee failure.

We all want to be liked. We all want to be a part of the 'cool' crowd. It feels good to be liked or to have people want to be around you. We, like junkies, sometimes makes decisions or do things to get that 'fix'. We don't look at the whole picture to see what consequences may come, only looking at the current moment.

My self-esteem has been in the toilet for over 20 years, it is one of the things that had caused my weight gain. Low self-esteem leads to depression, and for me, depression leads to eating, which in turn comes back to the viscious cycle all over again.

Slowly I am realizing that I shouldn't care what others think of me, their opinion of me has little bearing on my life. But it's hard, so hard sometimes to go against the grain or popular flow. Stay strong, stay the course...

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are." - e.e. cummings

Matty

No comments: