Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Pleasure...

"In everything satiety closely follows the greatest pleasures." - Cicero


Food used to bring me satisfaction or at least temporary comfort. The key word in that last sentence is temporary. You can't eat your way, drink your way, or buy your happiness. The more I ponder on it, the more I begin to realize that the things of this world are temporary. The pleasure they bring are temporary, for example my Xbox. I used to play it all the time, enjoyed the challenges of the games. But now it's a rarity that I pick up the controller, I do on occasion to play with my son. You can have too much fun where it gets sickening after a while. Solomon wrote a book in the bible all about it. He was the richest man, EVER. He had everything he wanted, built many buildings and monuments, accomplished many things but after a while he became jaded. It just wasn't fun anymore. The thrill was in the chase, but since the chase was over - it wasn't fun anymore.

We need to think of that in our own lifestyle changes. We need to continue to set the bar a little higher, we need to reset goals and not rest on our laurels. If we don't, we too will become jaded and fall backwards. I think happiness closely follows contentment, so try to remember to be content with what you have now, but not with who you are. Strive to go the extra mile...

"Fun I love, but too much fun is of all things the most loathsome. Mirth is better than fun, and happiness is better than mirth." - Thomas Carlyle



Matty

No comments: