Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Perseverance...

"I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday." - Author Unknown


Stick with it. Plow on, dig in, keep going. I'm sure your mind is racing with self-defeat, telling you that you cannot overcome. You can. It takes commitment and perseverance to win. You may get discouraged from time to time, but hang in there. The prize is definitely worth it: feeling better about yourself, wearing clothes that actually fit well, being energized, just plain feeling good.

I'm reminded of a lyric from "Burning Heart" by Survivor:

"In the warrior's code, there's no surrender
Though his body says stop, his spirit cries never
Deep in our soul a quiet ember
Knows it's you against you
I's the paradox that drives us on
It's a battle of wills, in the heat of attack
It's the passion that kills
The victory is yours alone"

I struggled with that this morning. My mind was encouraging me to just sleep in today and not go out and jog. It took some determination to change that attitude, but once I got out there to jog - I knew I made the right decision. Don't let that little voice distract you from your goals today. Take some time today and write down your goals, or better yet develop a personal mission statement. Mine is in the works and isn't totally polished but here is the gist of it:

"I will strive to help people to better themselves through making positive changes to their lifestyles. I will be a caring and helpful listener. I will use my creativity and compassion to lead discussions, write books and other materials to empower people with the tools needed to make those positive changes. I will not allow fear of rejection or ridicule to prevent the joys and blessings I have receive through God from being passed on to others."

A personal mission statement is always in a constant state of being changed and upgraded.


"When the world says, "Give up,"Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."" - Author Unknown


Matty

No comments: