Sunday, May 07, 2006

Discipline...

"Many people think they want things, but they don't really have the strength, the discipline. They are weak. I believe that you get what you want if you want it badly enough." - Sophia Loren



In order to make any change permenant you have to want it. You have to want it with every fiber of your being. Half-assed attempts or half-heartedness will only spell disaster and failure. I hear it all the time from people that, although they don't mean to, make my efforts seem trivial. "Oh, I wish I had your discipline to lose weight," "I should start eating better," "I should follow your lead and lose these 10lbs." Even though the sentiments are well-meaning, they somehow put a non-sensical spin on it. I can't really explain it, it's as if they are saying that they can do it but choose not to.

I have fallen off the wagon many, many times. Discipline is a process that will take a lifetime to master. It's about making choices in our food choosing, exercise, and other things associated with our daily lives. We may not make the right decisions all the time, but it's being determined to make the right choice the next time.

Yesterday was my birthday and I fell off the wagon to the tune of 1200cal over my allotment. I made some poor choices. But today I am going make the right choices and stay under calories.

Only when you are determined will you succeed...

"Without discipline the Army would just be a bunch of guys wearing the same color clothing." - Franks Burns, "Novocaine Mutiny"

Matty

No comments: