Monday, May 01, 2006

History...

"The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present." - David Thelen

Only when we reflect on past mistakes can we ever hope to learn not to make them in the future. Reflecting on the past is fine, as long as you do not dwell for too long. I have found myself dwelling on past mistakes for far too long asking myself the "what if?" and "If only" questions. These are not the questions to ask. The questions to ask are "how did I get into this mistake?" or "what can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again?" I had a situation recently where I thought about what had happened in the past to help figure out what I needed to do. That reflection was very helpful in making the right decision.

Don't ever beat yourself up over past mistakes, it's pointless. Time to move on and remember the mistake for only the learning experience. God doesn't remember your mistakes:

"And I will forgive their wrongdoings, and I will never again remember their sins." Heb 8:12

If God can forgive and forget, you can too...


"History, as long as it continues to happen, is always another chance." - R. Jackson Wilson



Matty

No comments: