Friday, May 05, 2006

Crisis...

"When written in Chinese the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters - one represents danger and the other represents opportunity." - John F. Kennedy


Life is full of crisis, there's no getting around it. But you do have a choice of how you deal with the crisis. Let me reiterate - whether its a money, family, work, or social crisis - YOU have a choice on how you respond to that crisis.

For many years I used food as my response to crisis and stress. Food was always there, never judged, and temporarily relieved the stress. Coupled with low self-esteem I ballooned up quickly over the years. I now realize that there are healthier alternatives to stress and crisis management that do not involve food. Don't get me wrong, I still have pangs to instinctively reach for food in times of trouble - but for the most part I do not allow them to follow through (I have slipped on occasion - hey I'm human!).

I pray, I walk, I breathe deep, I occupy my mind, I rationalize on whether the stress is necessary. Many things that I had sweated over in the past did not have anything to do with me - I could not change anything in those situations and yet I subjected myself to undue stress because of them. Things happen. Life goes on.

I had a situation a while ago where we had just made Baby Step #1 on our total money makeover ($1000 in the bank). Then the car flipped out - total cost $660.00. Times before I would have stressed out big time, but because we had the emergency fund - the stress was non-existent. I was bummed that we had to start over on the fund. I was thankful and prayed for a renewed spirit. The Lord blessed me in this and we were quickly able to replenish that account.

You do have a choice in crisis situations - not doing anything IS a choice...


Matty

No comments: