Friday, May 26, 2006

Complaining...

"You can overcome anything if you don't bellyache." - Bernard M. Baruch

I fell yesterday. Not literally, but failed as far as my calorie intake. This was due to some stress that overcame my life. I've been on this journey for over 2 years and I still find myself falling into the same traps that caused me to gain weight. I had been dealing with some stresses over the past 2 weeks that has been causing me to consistently go over in calories. This had started to become habit and I needed to break it. Finally I thought I had it licked and was back on track until yesterday. The lawn mower decided to crap out on me. In my frustration at trying to restart it, I yanked the pull-cord right out. Then while trying to take off the cover to fix that I dropped a screw into the engine. I was pissed because This month's commission check was larger than I had figured (a first in many months) and I was planning to get some plants and bark for my yard as well as start a raised-bed garden with that money. I figured I might as well kiss that idea goodbye when the mower crapped out. So I ate. And ate. And ate. Finally I said enough was enough and ended my childish hissy-fit.

Funny how we seem to revert to a child-like behavior when we either want something or something goes terribly wrong in our lives. Have I learned from this experience? Yes, if I didn't then it would not have been worth going through the experience. I have learned that things happen and to thank God for the money to fix the mower. My dad brought up a good perspective - Since God is all-knowing, He saw the lawn mower trouble and made sure we had the money to pay for it. Hadn't thought about it that way...


"Oh, wouldn't the world seem dull and flat with nothing whatever to grumble at?" - W.S. Gilbert


Matty

No comments: