Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Habit...

"I am your constant companion. I will push you forward to success or I will drag you down to failure. I am completely at your command. 80% of what you do, you might as well hand over to me and I will do it promptly and I will do it correctly. I am easily managed; you must merely be firm with me. Show me what you'd like to have done, and after a couple of lessons, I will do it automatically. I am the servant of all great people. Alas, I am the servant of all failures as well. All who are great, I have made great. All who are failures, I have made failures. I am not a machine; but I do work with the precision of a machine and the intellect of a human. Take me, train me, be firm with me, and I'll lay the world at your feet. Be easy with me, and I will destroy you! Who am I?"


I AM HABIT


I read somewhere that it takes 21 days (or 3 weeks) to develop or break a habit. Repetition is the key, repeatedly doing the same thing at around the same time everyday. That's how I got myself to get up at 4:10am every morning to exercise. That's the reason I get itchy when 11am rolls around - it's time for a walk. You can develop good habits, you just need to be determined to see it through. From budgeting to exercise, from weightlifting to reading - you have the power to change your lifestyle.

Like anything else it takes time. You will forget or not feel like doing whatever habit you want set. This gets easier as time rolls on, just keep plugging away at it. When I got my bike this past weekend my butt was sore. I got a different, wider seat thinking that it would help, but it still got sore. I was thinking on saying forget the bike riding because it hurt so much. But I was determined to change. As a result, the pain is becoming less and less and I am enjoying a new hobby.

Temporary pain or discomfort of starting a new habit is worth it. Stick with it, it'll only get better...

"Habits are safer than rules; you don't have to watch them. And you don't have to keep them, either. They keep you." - Frank Crane


Matty

No comments: