Friday, January 05, 2007

Making a difference...

"The shortest answer is doing." - Lord Herbert

I recently received this email from someone on the ASD newsgroup (alt.support.diet). I will treasure the words and use this as continued motivation that the choice I made almost 3 years ago was the right choice...


"Hi Matty,

I want to say "Thank you" for all the inspiration you provided to me in 2006. I think I mentioned I stumbled across your posts on alt.suport.diet when I first began my lifestyle change in January. When I read about your success losing 200 some pounds, I spent the better part of two hours reading your monthly updates in the newsgroup archives. I thought, if this fellow could lose so much, I surely could lose a measly 165 pounds. Well, now I've lost 110!

If you ever get down, as it appears from your posts you sometimes do, make a list of all the things you can do now that you couldn't do at 500 pounds. And not just the 'big' or 'important' things. Little things, like fitting into a diner booth or being able to bend over and touch your toes. Sleeping through the night. Eating without becoming bloated. The things you should rightly take for granted, but couldn't enjoy as the fat guy. I find this motivates me.

I understand the desire to change your entire life as the result of weight loss, since I am undergoing the same rethinking. I'm returning to school in the fall to get my degree. I hate my job, for much the same reason you probably hate writing insurance policies - it's a waist of time for someone with so much energy and so much to offer other people.

Best of luck with the book. It has the potential to be tremendously inspirational.

And thanks again, Matty.

Cordially,

(Name Withheld)"


Reaching people by living your life. Inspiring through doing. Making a difference.


Thanks, Neil...


"People may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do." - Lewis Cass

No comments: