Friday, December 29, 2006

The Four Keys To A Successful Resolution (or Lifestyle Change)

People tend to make many mistakes when it comes to making New Year's resolutions each year. I thought I would give a little advice on how to make a "resolution" (I prefer "lifestyle change") that will last the entire year and beyond. My end of the year gift to you...

Key #1 - Be Specific

The first mistake is that most people make general resolutions, "I will lose weight", "I will quit smoking", etc...

Instead of saying, "I will lose weight", trying being more specific like "I will lose 50lbs". Instead of saying, "I will quit smoking", try "I will quit smoking in 6 months".
Being specific will give you a goal to shoot for. Best quote I heard on the subject of goals was, "Aim for nothing and you will hit it every time."

#2 - Be Reasonable

Another mistake people make with New Year's resolutions is that they go too far in their expectations or aspirations. When making a resolution (or "lifestyle change") be reasonable (or realistic). Don't say things like, "I will lose 100lbs in 6 months," or "I will run a marathon by the end of the year" (knowing full well the last time you ran was in high school).

Shoot for things like, "I will lose and maintain a 1lb loss a week", or "I will train to run 2 miles non-stop in 6 months". These are both specific and realistic or attainable.

#3 - Be Measurable

Your resolution (or "lifestyle change") should be specific and reasonable, it should also be measurable. Weight loss is obvious, for smoking my dad actually came up with "cigarettes not smoked" and "hours added to life" as his measurements for his lifestyle change. Looking for a new job? How about "resumes sent out" or "responses received".

With my weight loss, I had the scale as a measurement but also had what I call "non-scale victories". Buying clothes from a regular store and not a specialty store or catalog, walking for 2.5mi without huffing, riding a bike again, sitting in a restaurant booth - things that I could not have done when I was heavier.

#4 - Be Committed
This is probably the most important key to any lifestyle change. You have to be committed to making that change no matter what. Fall off the wagon? Then don't wallow in self-pity, get back up and get right back on track. The longer you stay in that self-pity mode, the harder it is to get right back on track.

People are amazed (and think I am crazy) when I tell them that I wake up at 3am 5 days a week to exercise. I do more before 7am then a lot of people do all day. I jog almost 3 miles, bike (weather-permitting) 3.5 miles, and then use an exercise program for 30 minutes. I'm not crazy, I am committed to this lifestyle change, case closed.

I'm no ironman, I've fallen off the wagon many times. Like today I weighed in and found that I gained 5lbs over the past month. news like that a few years ago would have found me in a shame spiral and a 'heck with this' attitude. I indulged for the holidays, I allowed myself that luxury so that I did not become so over-sensitive on what I was eating that it thrashed my entire lifestyle change. I look back, see that it was a once-a-year indulgence and look forward to getting right back on track. Does that bum me out a little? Sure, but I look at what I have lost overall - the weight equivalent of my wife and son combined. And that was done due to commitment and faith, not by surgery or pills or fad diets.

The success of any lifestyle change hinges on commitment. If you aren't committed, the lifestyle change you pursue will ultimately fail.

I hope these keys will help you make some positive changes to your lifestyle in 2007!

No comments: