Saturday, December 23, 2006

Reflections...

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." - W. Edwards Deming


This morning I was reflecting on my eating pattern yesterday. The office had a luncheon and I induldged maybe a little too much. I thought I would be alright with eating a small salad when I got home for dinner, but found myself mindlessly munching the evening away.

I thought about the old me - the one who would have given up. I think about this guy that works in my office building, maybe late 40's early 50's. He looks as though he weighs in at close to 500lbs and needs a cane to walk. Takes him 5 or so minutes to get in and out of his vehicle everyday and has to park in the customer parking area. That could have been me. Actually I would have been much larger than he is now with the path I was going down.

Sometimes I wonder about people like that. Wonder why they haven't been hit on the head with the revelation that changing one's lifestyle, although sometimes painful, is one of the most freeing feelings that one could experience.

That's why in January I am going to start working harder on getting my public speaking off the ground. I know that my story could inspire many others to change their lives for the better. It breaks my heart every time I see an overweight person have to stop walking and sit, or stop because they are huffing so hard.

Think of me and wish me well...


On a side note, this has not been shared with too many people so keep it under your hat for now. My wife just turned in our formal application to begin the adoption process of (hopefully) a little girl from either Russia, the Ukraine, or Uzbekistan. We have been trying for the past 2 years without success and the doctors both concurred that we are fertile, just with a mix of health issues the chances of pregnancy are slim and nil. The cost is going to be around $35,000 and we were approved for a $20,000 loan. I am trying hard to come up with ways of making some money so that we can pay back the loan promptly and not have to go into debt to bring Analise Elizabeth home. If anyone has ideas, feel free to post or email me....


"Our only security is our ability to change." - John Lilly

No comments: