Sunday, September 03, 2006

"Changed, nothing stays the same..."

"Unchained, hit the ground running..." - Van Halen, "Unchained"

Nothing can't stay the same. Life has to move forward. We need to experience new things. The day we are born is the same day we begin to die. There is so much out there, we need to cram in as much as possible. Create new memories that we will cherish forever.

My parents came back from Florida this week. They had gone to Disneyworld to spend a little time in their second childhood. My step-mom is getting up in years and they both try to make as many memories as possible of the time they spend together. My dad told me a story of going to a restaurant at Disney where Mickey, Pluto, Chip & Dale came around the restaurant and visited with all the patrons. Mickey made it a point to stop by my parents table at least 4 times, each time giving my step-mom a hug & a kiss. I can only imagine the look of joy on her face and hear the little school-girl giggle that she gets when she is happy.

I took the time to map out a plan for each day so that my parents could maximize their vacation time. My dad told me when they got back that he truly appreciated that because they were able to create some really memorable times together. That made me feel good.

In this fast-paced world, we often overlook opportunities to make memories like that. We're too busy, too lazy, too self-absorbed to aspire to do that. I know myself, I have been guilty of that. Choosing my own selfish ambitions or paths instead of making what could have been some really great memories.





Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is me back in the summer of 2003. I could barely keep up with the family, using Javan's stroller to lean on. You would think that seeing the expanding waistband or the slow creeping of the car seat backwards would have made me stop and think about the life that was slowly escaping not only me, but that of my friends and family. I was blind and deaf to the warning signs.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is me today. I have come a long way. I still struggle with my selfish tendencies. I still have missed opportunities to interact and strengthen bonds with neighbors, friends, & family. The difference now is that it is my choice and not my limitations. And I deal with that on a daily basis.

Try to create some special memories with your loved ones and friends today. Down the road you will be glad you did....

No comments: