Friday, September 29, 2006

Fall is definitely here. Downtown Holland is decked out with pumpkins, hay bales, & cornstalks. It's getting a bit chillier on my 4am jogs as well, I may need to break out my winter hat and gloves if it gets much colder.

To get the bad stuff out of the way first, I was unable to get a weigh-in number this month due to the fact that the scale I use for my weigh-ins was in need of repair. Hopefully they will have it fixed soon so I can check my weight. They did have a traditional sliding-weight scale, but I cannot compare those numbers to the electronic scale (as I think it was in need of calibration).

On the other side of things I have several exciting things to report:

* I had recently sent a letter to the mayor of Holland explaining my weight loss efforts and how on my noon walks I noticed so many lovely things about the city. From the changing seasons on the Window on the Waterfront, to the wonderful Victorian architecture in many of the historic homes. I thought that the city could benefit from taking a day to check out their own neighborhoods and had asked the mayor to dedicate September 28th as "Walk Your Neighborhood Day".
I met with the mayor in person this past Monday, where he proceeded to present a proclamation stating that September 28th would indeed be "Walk Your Neighborhood Day" in Holland. I have scanned a copy of it into my photo album on Yahoo.

* I was recently contacted by the events coordinator for Holland Hospital and was asked to speak publicly about my weight loss as a part of their winter catalog of events. I was absolutely floored! Of course I would do it!

* This past Tuesday I entered my Toastmasters International group's humorous speech contest. To my surprise, my speech entitled - "The See Food Diet", won first place! And now apparently I have the opportunity to compete in an area speaking contest among the winners of the 4 other area Toastmasters International groups. i have scanned a copy of that award as well.

* I also have to honor of being presented with an award in a few weeks from the West Michigan Character Council, a group that meets to discuss character-building and recognize those in the area that have shown character.

* I have also launched a new project on YouTube that I have titled "PhatteningPhilms". I will be posting videos of my speeches as well as starting a bi-weekly show called, "The Fattening of America", where I hope to share some of the bizarre and misleadings things I have come across in my weight loss journey - www.youtube.com/user/phatteningphilmsI have two videos up now with more to come...

Lots of positive things going on, I truly feel blessed.Yesterday was a very special day for me and my wife Brenda. 10 years ago yesterday we were pronounced man and wife. Bren has been a great wife, mother, supporter, & friend. Honestly I cannot say where I would be today without her love and support. She truly deserves much more than I could ever give her. Happy Anniversary, Bren...

Feel free to check out some of the photos from that magical day:http://photos.yahoo.com/mvanderplow

Although this update didn't include a weigh-in figure, there still are many positive non-scale victories!

Thank you all again for your continued support throughout my weight loss journey. Myself and my family really and deeply appreciate it!

Matty
481/248??/225(starting weight/current weight/goal weight)
First mini goal achieved - 104lbs lost 10/26/04
Second mini goal achieved - 137lbs lost 01/28/05
Third mini goal achieved - 183lbs lost 09/30/05
Fourth mini goal achieved - 204lbs total lost 01/30/06
Fifth mini goal achieved - 233lbs total lost by 08/31/06
Sixth mini goal - 256lbs total lost by 02/27/07

No comments: