Sunday, July 16, 2006

Honesty, pt. 2

"Truth is such a rare thing, it is delightful to tell it." - Emily Dickinson

On Friday I was all set to take the van in for a transmission fluid change. Had a coupon and let the guy know when I made the appointment on Monday that I had it. They had me in their system and knew all the particulars about my vehicle beforehand.

Anyway, I get there, drop of the keys and sit down with my book in preparation for the hour or so it was going to take. The guy that owns the place took my keys and verified the information on the van. Then he says, "Did you get a quote for the cost?" to which I replied, "Yes, I have a coupon."
"I'm sorry, that coupon isn't valid for your vehicle. The transmission fluid is a special type and a bit more expensive. The cost for your vehicle is $103." I took the keys and told him that I was prepared to pay the $50, but not $103.

I'm not so sure he was being totally honest when I left. I thought about it afterwards and remembered that they did the fluid service the last time I needed it done and they accepted the coupon without hassle. This was a couple of years ago, but I don't think my van all of a sudden needs a more expensive type of transmission fluid.

I was thankful that they did not start work on it and then tell me this. But if they had, I would have politely demanded they honor the coupon because when I made the appointment with them on Monday, the guy should have known the coupon was not valid on my van nor did the coupon say 'not valid on all vehicles'.

When it comes to our food diaries, we need to be honest as well. Include all food and drink calories, "cooking calories"(sneaking bites or 'tasting' to see if the food is done) "kiddie calories"(those leftover fries or chips on the kids' plates) or "convenience calories" (the morning cappucino or quick drink from the 7-11). I have been guilty of all of the above lately and it is starting to become habit. Today is a new day and time to step up to the plate.

Each new day brings us a clean slate to start over again. Use that opportunity.

"Always tell the truth. If you can't always tell the truth, don't lie." - Author Unknown

Matty

No comments: