Friday, July 21, 2006

Golf...

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: taking long walks and hitting things with a stick." - P.J. O'Rourke


This week a friend of mine took me to the golf course for a little driving and possibly 9 holes. Never been golfing before in my life (at least in reality, I own Outlaw Golf, Outlaw Golf 2, and the 2 expansion packs for Xbox) and had come across some old golf clubs that someone was going to toss out. Everyone in my church seems to golf and I thought if I got into it I might make some friends. Not looking for pity, but I really don't have any male friends that I go out and do things with. Dave and I had talked about going and thankfully he kept asking me to go and time became available.

I can say that I need a lot of practice. But Dave said I did fairly well for my first time. I was excited when I hit one ball 150 yards! It's a lot harder than it looks and you can find yourself overthinking which can ruin a good shot. I find that happens in my weightloss journey as well. Sometimes I overthink what we are having for dinner and will go overboard. Or going out to the grocery store with a list in hand and end up going over in the food budget because I overthought and didn't stick to the plan.

Life is a journey and sometimes you just need to let go and allow the ebb and flow of life take over. That's how I was able to hit that 150 yarder. I began to overthink after that and could not hit another one past 100 yards (many ended up as 'worm-burners', as Dave called them).

"My handicap? Woods and irons." - Chris Codiroli


Matty

No comments: