Tuesday, February 09, 2010

A simple compliment...

Received a compliment last night that at first didn't seem like one but after thinking about it, it is one amazing compliment. One of the members of my Saturday men's group shot me an email asking if I had worked at Star Theater at some point in time. Yep, I told him, worked as a manager there from '94 to '96 (actually started as a lowly usher in 1992 and worked my way up through the ranks to the "glass ceiling". The last position above mine was that of General Manager, and of course there's a waiting list of more-qualified candidates when an opening like that comes available - a RARE occurrence) but I was about 150lbs heavier back then. I love his response:

"knew it! I worked with you when I was in high school. You look younger now than what I remembered from back then, that's why I didn't ask before..."

It was a Dr. Oz or Dr. Huizenga (from, "The Biggest Loser") moment right there in my inbox. For those that don't get the reference, both doctors have done "real age" studies on their respective shows that give the participant what their body thinks it's age is rather than a chronological age. Many times a person's body age is 10 or as much as 30 years older than their chronological age because of their obesity or bad habits (like smoking). It's a real wakeup call to do something about it and oftentimes the participant does!

To hear that I look younger now than I did at 450lbs is a great compliment to receive. I still have a ways to go to reach my goal (and the rest of my life to maintain it), but to get encouraging compliments like that help to make the road to wellness & health that much easier to bear. Puts a little 'pep' in your step, brings your self-esteem up a notch or two, strengthens your commitment, encourages you to spread that feeling to others.

Have you complimented someone recently? You'll make them feel good and make yourself feel good at the same time, a win-win!

MattyV
www.iweighedmorethanjared.com

PS - Thanks, Tyler!

No comments: