Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Inner Strength

"When the world says, "Give up,"Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."" - Author Unknown


Sitting here looking at a photo that someone had taken last October of me running my first 8k race. That was a grueling time for me, there I was 34 years old and 280lbs running up and down hills around the city of Zeeland. Many racers were "professionals" looking for a quick win and accolades from the crowd. Others were teens that ran track or cross-country. There were even moms, looking for a time to chat and get a t-shirt (one pair of moms had matching shirts that said "Incredi-Moms" a play on the Disney/Pixar movie "The Incredibles").

Looking back on that time, I never quit. I was tired and suffering from "side-stitch" (dehydration causing pain in your sides) but I never quit. I knew if I had quit, I would not start again and I would be done. Teens that passed me, soon I passed as they had stopped and began to walk. They may have caught up and passed me - but I didn't stop to walk, they did.I am gathering strength from remembering that time. I didn't quit then, and I sure as hell am not going to quit now.

"The race is not always to the swift, but to those who keep on running." - Author Unknown


MattyV
www.iweighedmorethanjared.com

No comments: