Friday, June 01, 2007

Pride...

"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." - Buddha

A lot of trouble these past two weeks. Took a song to bring some clarity to the situation. Funny how a book, slogan, article, or song can seem to pierce the darkness of thought and promote a new idea or possible reasoning.

My family has become addicted to a video game called, "Guitar Hero" - my son is getting to be a fanatic about it to the point of having his own cardboard guitar to jam on. Actually, it can be a good form of exercise, you have to stand up to play the guitar and with one hand working the fret buttons, the other hand working the strum & whammy bars, and your feet tapping away - that can add up to some serious calorie burning...

Anyway, among the songs on the "set list" is one by David Bowie called, "Ziggy Stardust". The song is a sad tale of a talented guitar player that let his pride over his ability get the best of him to the point of becoming so self-absorbed that his fans finally turned on him and ended his life.

I got to thinking, maybe my weight loss stall and loss of energy to reach goal is somehow pride-based? Maybe I got too big of a head about my accomplishment that I needed to get slapped back down to earth? The bible talks about pride and this verse caught my attention as I was preparing to blog:

"Pride ends in humiliation, while humility brings honor." Proverbs 29:23 (NLT)

Maybe the events of the last two weeks have been God's way of tapping me on the shoulder telling me that it's not about me... It's about Him and His plan for my life...

Today is a new month, a start to a new weekend, a good day to start over again - with humility and understanding and trust. Trust that there is a plan, a plan to prosper me and my family, and give up the reins of my life to the one that needs to be in control...

"Ziggy played guitar, jamming good with Weird and Gilly,
The Spiders from Mars.
He played it left hand, but made it too far,
Became the special man, then we were Ziggy's Band..." - David Bowie, "Ziggy Stardust"


Matty
www.iweighedmorethanjared.com

No comments: