Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Striving for That Ten Percent

While flipping channels tonight I saw a snippet of a new show that will be featured on Discovery Health which will chronicle the reemergence rise of Eric Chopin, winner of season 3 of "The Biggest Loser". After winning the show, something happened in Eric's life that caused him to gain back all the weight he lost on the show. It seems that this is a trend that tends to happen to those that lose focus on what's important and rest on past achievements. Even one of the people I admire, Matt Hoover (another "The Biggest Loser" winner), gained back over 80lbs in the years since winning.

I read an article a few years back that spoke of a study done on those from my previous weight classification (the super-super-morbidly-obese, and yes, this is a clinical classification). The study was done over a period of years of a group that had lost a substantial amount of weight and the findings showed that only about 10% of the group were able to maintain their weight loss (or continue to lose). The other 90% either gained back all or all their weight plus more.At the height of my weight loss, I had lost half of my original body weight and well within reach of my goal. I was speaking to groups of people, had a popular weekly web show, things were seemingly going my way. But then the dreaded "life-happening" began which took focus away from my goal and found me falling back into old ways. The speaking engagements began to dry up, the website hits began to falter, viewership of the show waned. Soon I began not to care anymore about my goals. My dreams were fading fast. The motivation subsided. I was driven by the accolades of others, the recognition of my achievements. Once they became old news & the accolades faded, the cheering section was gone. I became just another Joe who lost some weight.

Sitting here thinking about my goals for 2010, I realize that I cannot allow this trend to continue. I want to become a part of that 10 percent. I know deep down that I was meant to be an example for others, a leader, an encourager, an inspiration.One of my goals for 2010 is to make it to my initial goal weight. And in making that resolution, realizing that this goal is all up to me. There may be others that will be cheerleaders or encouragers, but unfortunately I can no longer rely on them alone to motivate me. That was my mistake last time around. The only true cheerleader I can count on is the one that I face in the mirror each day as I get ready.

I was sooo close to goal I could taste it and yet I let it slip through my grasp. Learning from one's mistakes and making the right course corrections is on the board this time around.Need to disband one group (Lose, Fatboy, Lose) and focus on starting another - but this time look for members willing to participate and not just sit idly by in the stands...

WANTED - people willing to be a part of something great. Need to be willing to offer encouragement, ask questions, give advice. Payment in the form of knowing that you have helped someone else achieve their goals, inspiration to achieve your own, & satisfaction in being a part of something historic & amazing. Email or respond to this note if you want in on this unique opportunity...

MattyV
www.iweighedmorethanjared.com

No comments: