Friday, April 03, 2009

Lose, Fatboy, Lose Update - March 2009

Got up in a bad mood this morning. Bren had gotten up with Logan @ 1am and here it was 4am and he was up again. After trying to calm him down in our bed I decided to just take him with me into the living room so that Bren could get some more sleep before getting up for work. I really wanted to run this morning but with Logan being as clingy as he was, I would have to skip running today.

Logan was still fussy and when he finally fell asleep I tried to put him in his bed, but he awoke the minute I laid him down and started wailing all over again. Had to skip exercise because by the time he was in a deep enough sleep, it was time to get ready for work. I grumbled and groaned as I got on the scale and saw the 314lb number, blaming Logan for not allowing me to exercise or run that morning to provide a more accurate reading (I always weigh in after my morning exercise and before I get dressed). But that was the wrong attitude, he's teething and can't help waking up in pain and needing comfort. So I missed running this morning - it was rainy & cold, I can make up for it tomorrow. The exercise can be done tonight when I get home from work, will be good to shake off the sluggishness I feel after sitting in an office chair for 8 hours a day.

I'll weigh in soon to get a more accurate reading, no biggie.

But it's always been more than numbers on a scale to me. Sometimes I think that shows like "The Biggest Loser" are counter-productive by instilling the impression that losing only 2 or 3 pounds a week is not a good thing. The safest weight loss has always been 1-2lbs a week, and that is for long-term weightloss (keeping it off).

Looking to my right I see the application for the next 5k race coming up. I was on the fence on whether or not to compete, but the more I think about it the more I have the desire to do it. On March 16 I competed in my first 5k race in over a year. 47:47 was my time, a time that I am damn proud of. Proud because of 2 things - I completed the race and I never stopped running. Others may have beaten my time even with stopping to fast-walk, but I never quit. It's the same with my weightloss journey - I WILL NEVER QUIT. A big thanks to those that supported me at the finish line - Bren, Javan, Logan, Nick, & Gary (sorry you had the time mixed up, I know you were there in spirit!). I'll post event details for the next race, hopefully I can have an even bigger crowd this time around!

I'm only one week away from completing my first intervals series from Podrunner.com, thanks to the program I am able to run for 30min non-stop which is a HUGE accomplishment for me. I've had to forgo working out at the aquatic center because of the limitations of their treadmills, which now with the better weather ahead I am not lamenting one bit about doing the workouts on the road.

Sitting here listening to "Brian Wilson" by Barenaked Ladies and thinking about the line in the song, "Lyin' in bed, just like Brian Wilson did..." I don't know the whole story behind the line but am familiar that the former Beach Boy spent an entire year in bed battling mental illness and depression. He gained a lot of weight during that time as if he just gave up on life and found comfort in the most basest of needs. Truth be told, I've thought about giving up. Having trouble staying on task, not seeing the scale needle move in the direction I want it to go, seeing others succeeding at their endeavors - the excuses seem to keep piling up.

But the reasons outweigh the excuses. I have people looking up to me, I have a wife and 2 sons that look up to me, I have an innate desire to inspire, encourage, & help people. I have mission to fulfill. I am realizing that more and more as I write blogs, as I produce podcasts & videos, as I look at those around me and see the need.

Take care, my friends and supporters. Think of me in the coming weeks as I take a hard look at my exercise routine to increase my strength and endurance.

MattyV
www.iweighedmorethanjared.com

PS - Anyone have a lead on used bikes (less than $50)? Unfortunately my Walmart cruiser will need to be retired (costs more to fix than it's worth)...

No comments: