Thursday, May 28, 2009

It works if you work it...

I was thinking about that today. I joined an online think-tank type website that is a pool of people that gather together to share ideas and ask questions. I thought it might help me with developing some sort of product, service, or inspire some writing ideas to help get my little company (413 Fitness Concepts) off the ground. But I haven't had any success with it. I get emails from the group from time to time but really haven't reached my expectations from the group. But then it hit me - I haven't been an active participant. If I expect to get something out of the group, I need to expect to jump in and use the resources of the group.

On the subject of 'working a program', I've gotten a bit off track with my weightloss recently. For one reason or another I just haven't felt all that motivated. I have been keeping up with my morning exercise and afternoon walks but haven't gone for a run in about a week. I am thankful that I have kept up with some exercise but haven't keep a food diary for at least a month. I got a new food scale for my birthday but have yet to use it. And yet I am afraid to get on the scale tomorrow for my weekly weigh-in knowing that I've been off-track. The number tomorrow shouldn't be a surprise, I haven't been working my personal program so how can I expect a weightloss?

Bren told me a couple of weeks ago about an aquaintance that had bragged about being in this month's issue of Reader's Digest because of her weightloss. She had been (still is) on one of those medical 'milkshake' diet programs and had lost 100 or so pounds. The way it was portrayed to Bren was that this person was going to have a story in the magazine. Bren thought, "Geez, my husband lost over 200lbs on his own without some special diet. He should be the one getting a story in RD!" Well, Bren got her hands on a copy of RD and found not a story but rather a 1-page advert for the diet program with her picture featured.

Why bring this up? Well, for one I have decided that one of my goals is to get a story in RD on my weightloss accomplishment and for second she was on a program and worked it. Using the tools and following the guidelines she met her goal. It works if you work it...

Where does that leave me? Well, it leaves me with the choice - the choice to get back up and dust myself off or continue to wallow. I choose to get back up.A side note - I got the story on Kirstie Alley and how she packed the pounds back on. Apparently when her contract ended with Nutri-System, she fell back into her old eating habits. That particular program doesn't deal with behavior-modification I guess...

MattyV
www.iweighedmorethanjared.com

No comments: