Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Mistakes...

Won a speech contest today. Based the speech on the topic of making mistakes. I've made plenty and expect to make many more over my lifetime. I learned a few things about mistakes:

1 - Everybody makes them (don't kid yourself)

2 - You need to learn from them (see examples below)

3 - Don't dwell on them (probably THE most important thing to remember)

The Apple LISA was a commercial flop. What did Apple learn? Enter the Apple Macintosh & Apple's OS X software (both have roots in the LISA computer)

The Ford Edsel was also a commercial flop. What did Ford learn? Enter 2 of the most popular Ford lines, the Mustang & the Taurus

Wilson Greatbatch developed the implantable pacemaker (including it's corrosion-resistant battery) years after he put in the wrong part into an external heart monitor.


I love speaking. I can't explain it. It was envigorating being up there and sharing the speech I had prepared. I need to develop this talent...


MattyV
www.iweighedmorethanjared.com

No comments: