Friday, March 07, 2008

Appearance...

"Things do not pass for what they are, but for what they seem. Most things are judged by their jackets." - Baltasar Gracian


Too many times do we judge books by their covers. I find myself guilty of this time and time again. Many times I find that I have grossly mis-judged someone, thinking one thing and finding out something totally different.

Out on my walks I like to people-watch. It has become one of my favorite pastimes. Once I even sat and wrote down descriptions of people that I saw, hoping that the descriptions would one day make it into a fiction novel I will write.

I've seen many, many overweight people in my journies. And every time I catch myself with some sort of "air" about them - some deep-seated disgust. I don't know them. I don't know their life. They could have health issues that caused the weight gain. They could have some problems at home that they thought food could solve. But I stand there, thinking like some others may think - "laziness, slovenly laziness".

That's one thing I still struggle with, self-loathing. I hate being overweight and yet this hate is not motivation to keep going. I need to find focus on something else. Self-loathing behavior is not healthy or a self-esteem builder.

I will try harder...

"Men in general judge more from appearances than from reality. All men have eyes, but few have the gift of penetration." - Niccolo Machiavelli


Matty
www.iweighedmorethanjared.com

1 comment:

rollerdave said...

OH MAN!

Do I know what you mean about self-loathing!

I began my journey at damnear 500 lbs and am at 449 now, and I STILL struggle with self-loathing.

It really is toxic to my efforts.

So when I see people and I can tell they are reacting to me in the automatic way you describe, I try not to join them in their opinion of me.

Not easy, but I manage most times.

Hang in there,

RD